This chicken stock is another one of China’s great recipes. It has a rich chicken and vegetable aroma and is a lighter variation to a regular gourmet soup stock.
- 3 lbs (1 1/2 kg) chicken bones or 1/2 chicken
- 2 in (5 cm) ginger, sliced
- 3 green onions (scallions) or shallots
- 1 celery stalk, leaves attached, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 10 cups (2 1/2 liters) water
Combine all the ingredients into a large stock pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for 1 hour. Get rid of all the solids and strain the stock through a fine sieve. The stock can be frozen and kept for up to 3 months.