- 4 Shallots, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 in (5 cm) galangal, peeled and thinly sliced.
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 in (2 cm) fresh turmeric root, peeled and sliced
- 3 red finger-length chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 in (2 cm) fresh kencur root, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 bird’s-eye chilies
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste (trasi)*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 salam leaf, whole
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tender inner part of bottom third only, bruised
Place the shallots, garlic, galangal, coriander seeds, turmeric, chilies, kencur, and dried shrimp paste in a food processor and process lightly, or grind coarsely or heavy saucepan. Add the ground paste and remaining ingredients, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until it changes color. Cool before using.