This refreshing salad can be eaten as a starter or accompaniment to curries and rice.
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 daikon radish (about 1 lb/500 g) peeled and finely sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 9 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoon peanuts
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
Mix the rice vinegar, salt and sugar in salad bowl and whisk till the salt sugar are dissolved. Add the radish, toss and chill for 15 minutes. Soak the sliced onion on cold water for 5 minutes. Drain. Fry the chopped garlic in oil over high heat till golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. (Discard the oil or retain for use in another dish). Dry-roast the peanuts in a pan, cool and grind finely. When ready to serve, remove the radish mixture from the refrigenerator and drain any excess liquid. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well.