- 1 cup (150 g) roasted unsalted peanuts, skins discarded
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 in (2 ½ cm) fresh kencur root, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 bird’s-eye chilies, deseeded
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- 3 tablespoons sweet Indonesian soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 1 teaspoon lime or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Crispy Fried Shallots*
Grind the peanuts, garlic, kencur and chilies coarsely in a mortar or blender.
Combine the ground ingredients with all the other ingredients (except the lime or lemon juice and Crispy Fried Shallots) in a saucepan, mix well and simmer over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent the sauce from burning. Add more water as needed to keep the sauce a thick consistency. Remove from the heat, add the lime or lemon juice and mix well. Sprinkle the Crispy Fried Shallots over it just before serving.