This is a subtle yet richly flavored curry that complements shrimp perfectly. A very authentic taste, and a very easy meal to prepare when you are in a hurry. Use fresh large shripms for this curry. Serve this with plain rice and stir-fried vegetables.
- 1 lb (500 g) fresh large shrimp, shelled and cleaned
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) oil
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground numeric
- 1 tablespoon dried chili flakes
- 2 small tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 green finger-length chili, halved lengtwise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
Marinate the shrimp in the fish sauce for at least 15 minutes. Heat the oil in pan and stir-fry the onion and the garlic for 5 minutes till fragrance. Stir in the turmeric, lower the heat and add the chili flakes, tomato, green chili and salt. Cook for 6-8 minutes stirring to a paste. Add the shrimp and coriander leaves and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently, till the shrimp are done.