A northern favorite, this rice pudding is very different from the bland version which countless children had to endure in their homes or boarding schools.
- 1/2 cup (100 g) uncooked long-grain rice, washed and drained
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk
- 2-3 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- Pinch of saffron threads, soaked in 1 tablespoon hot milk for 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon shelled pistachio nuts, skins removed and coarsely ground
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Place the rice, milk and cardamom in a pot, bring to a boil and simmer gently for 30 to 4o minutes until the rice is soft and the grains start to break up.
Add the almonds, saffron, pistachios and raisins, if using, and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat and serve-warm or chilled.