This is an amazing chutney that is some what spicy but not to bad, and sweet. This is very good on flat breads.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 10 curry leaves
- 2 pinches of asafoetida powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 3-4 green finger-length chilies, slit lengthwise and deseeded
- 1 can (1 lb/500 g) peeled whole tomatoes, drained; or 4 medium tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heat the oil in a wok or skillet and fry the mustard and nigella seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida until the spices crackle.
Add the garlic and ginger, stir-fry gently for a few minutes, then add the chilies and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turn pulpy.
Add the turmeric, red pepper and sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the salt and serve hot. This chutney keeps for 3 to 4 days refrigenerated, if stored in a covered jar.