- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6-8 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4-5 red finger-length chilies, deseeded and sliced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste (trasi), dry-roasted*
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan or wok. Add the shallots and garlic and stir-fry for 5 minutes over low heat. Add the chilies and stir-fry for another 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and dried shrimp paste and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Add the lime juice. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process coarsely. Season to taste with salt. Cool before using. This sambal can be frozen.